Heretical Gaming is my blog about my gaming life, featuring small skirmishes and big battles from many historical periods (and some in the mythic past or the far future too). The focus is on battle reports using a wide variety of rules, with the occasional rules review, book review and odd musing about the gaming and history. Most of the battles use 6mm-sized figures and vehicles, but occasionally 15mm and 28mm figures appear too.

Sunday 17 September 2023

Not Much Happening Game-Wise...

I haven't been up to much modelling or figure gaming-wise recently due to work/family life pressures. As ever, when things get tight I feel much more inclined to play RPGs, computer games or board games than miniatures wargames; even the painting has suffered somewhat. I have painted some Zulus and British for my youngest and am starting to build some Mahdists and some Agincourt-era knights for him (it has been his birthday this month) but that has been about it, with the exception of some 6mm Dutch WSS infantry (pictures soon); with the result that I have actually managed to build up a little bit of a lead pile: most of my purchases from this year's shows have remained unpainted thus far. Still, hope springs eternal!  And it isn't like I have lost any general interest, just the specific decisions I am making about any spare time have defaulted in the direction of RPGs.

I did get one game of 40K Rogue Trader in with my youngest, which he seemed to enjoy. 


 The good thing about 40K is that the basic system is so intuitive, you can get playing with it very quickly.  In this game, a small force of Space Marines is clearing a slightly larger group of Ork raiders from a ruin and an industrial facility on the outskirts of the jungle.

The hill is scratchbuilt from polystyrene, intended for a new refight of White Mountain (!)



Painting has been painfully slow recently, although I seem to have done a fair bit of constructing and preparing plastic figures. Anyway...

Some Heroics & Ros WW2 French Armour - some reinforcements, so I can field full-strength platoons for all of the major types for 1940

Some of the newer Baccus 6mm US Sherman tank variants

and more, along with some M-10s

Beginning to re-fresh some WW2 German trucks - Opel Blitzes and Protzes? - from two or three different manufacturers

A platoon of A9 Cruisers; this is probably in the 'wrong' paint scheme for 1940 (FoW guidance has this limited to light tanks and infantry tanks, whereas the cruisers were in a more medium green - however, I much prefer this more subtle camouflage scheme).

Some Zulu War era 28mm Perry British Infantry (and very nice figures they are too)


And ditto for their Zulu opponents

Another shot

I am not really sure what to use for playing with these; Neil Thomas has some Colonial-period skirmish rules in his Wargaming: An Introduction I could give a go, although they look at first glance as a fairly crude attempt. Still, worth a try I guess.

Plus some space fighters from Brigade Models - some Neo-Soviet type, I think. They are nice models although I don't have much idea of what to do with them! Perhaps I have an old copy of Delta Vee knocking around somewhere...

and some 'British' opponents from the same range.

Apart from that, it has mainly been RPGs for me (my other blog gives some idea of which games have featured) and boardgames.  For the latter, the two I have been giving most attention to are Europe in Agony, which I find just fascinating, and Over the Reich, as I continue to try and refine my own much simpler WW2 air warfare rules.





4 comments:

  1. You seem to have painted a fair bit, despite not doing much painting! I think the A9s look fine, there are plenty of photos of them in two tone camo. It is how I did mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. Just for reference, this is what FoW reckons the A9 paint scheme should be: https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=2241 whereas I went for the paint scheme of the Matildas: https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=2346

      Delete
  2. We all have peaks and troughs, I know I do and this year has seen little gaming on my part for similar reasons. At least my painting mojo has returned due to having to focus on getting an army finished for a show in October.

    A nice mix of stuff that you have painted, with the French tanks being may favourites:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely. Looking forward to getting a battle in with them soon. I do have enough now to do most 1940 actions, so I really should get on with it!

      Delete