Heretical Gaming is my blog about my gaming life, featuring small skirmishes and big battles from many historical periods (and some in the mythic past or the far future too). The focus is on battle reports using a wide variety of rules, with the occasional rules review, book review and odd musing about the gaming and history. Most of the battles use 6mm-sized figures and vehicles, but occasionally 15mm and 28mm figures appear too.

Thursday 3 November 2022

Hobby Update 03 Nov 22

I still haven't got many wargames in for one reason or another - although I did get to play a DBA game head-to-head for the first time yesterday! I really enjoyed it, although my abysmal combat dice rolling meant there was only going to be one result!!!  I have been playing some roleplaying games, specifically Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd edition (review here, adventure review here)

In any case, I have managed to get a few things painted up.  Some rather nice Stargrave figures:




There are a couple of conversions using some Gripping Beast Dark Age Warriors at the back of this one

Apologies, some of this crew have darker skintones which rather blended into the background in this shot!!!

And another bunch of Skaven, which I have in mind for a very specific project next month:



A platoon of Battlefront "Team Yankee" West German infantry, plus some civilian vehicles from a 15mm 3D printing company.  Apologies, the name escapes me, but these were actually got at the JoS show this year(!)




And some limbers for my Heroics & Ros 6mm WW2 French artillery pieces:

In my last update I mentioned that I had been painting up a few figures for my 6-year old son.  I have finished these off now, a platoon of Warlord Waffen SS Grenadiers and a platoon of their British Paratroopers, along with their 'Ruined Building'.  I think that they turned out quite nicely despite my fairly duff painting - the bairn seemed quite pleased in any case.






And lastly, I got a few Soviet assault guns from 2d6 wargaming painted up, alongside a Baccus 6mm US Armored Infantry company's halftracks and extra bazookas and what-not.




I also went to the Other Partizan show a few weeks back. I didn't stay for too long, I developed a bit of a nasty headache quite early.  I didn't get much for me, although I did pick up some cheap Airfix kits being sold off for my son. I got a chance to say hello to a couple of people, including Steve Jones who was putting on a very nice-looking WW2 game and trying to sell me on the virtues of Fireball Foward, and I had a chance to have a quick chat to Henry Hyde for the first time, which was nice.  I didn't take many photos, but I thought I might share these of the TooFatLardies amazing Arnhem game - check out just how authentic all the buildings look:






The story of this game is on Henry Hyde's latest Battlechat podcast, for anyone who might be interested.

Looking forward, I am going to start a new job next week. This new job looks much busier than the last one, so I think that painting and paying time will be at a premium.  I mentioned in the last update that I was looking to organize things a bit better to make quick games more easy for me to do.  I have had a few failed experiments in that regard but I am going to give that another shot today!  It is important to me: my life is better when I get a game to the table each week or two, worse when I don't.

4 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed that you do get to play a few games each week despite your new job and all that that might entail. You certainly have been productive on the painting front though, which is good to see:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I guess one way of looking at it is that painting increases the number of potential games you can play but not the number of actual games you play. But since I already have lots of potential games to play then this new stuff is only helping so much! TBF, most of the stuff I am painting is designed to make my existing collections more flexible rather than entirely new projects, but even so...

      Delete
  2. Good to see you are still getting oiut and playing the odd game. And I am crossing my fingers with Steve in that you can still get some games in, even with the busy-ness of the new job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaun. I hope so too! It shouldn't be beyond my wit to arrange things appropriately...I did some pottering around yesterday to try and sort some things and it is main effort for this morning! Probably a blog post to follow...

      Delete