Heretical Gaming is my blog about my gaming life, featuring small skirmishes and big battles from many historical periods (and some in the mythic past or the far future too). The focus is on battle reports using a wide variety of rules, with the occasional rules review, book review and odd musing about the gaming and history. Most of the battles use 6mm-sized figures and vehicles, but occasionally 15mm and 28mm figures appear too.

Thursday 7 June 2012

New Armies(part1)

Having sworn to myself that I wouldn't buy more than a couple of armies with allies for any given period, I broke that promise entirely and got myself two new Napoleonic Armies at Partizan: a Netherlands Army and a Russian Army.  I've started painting up the Dutch-Belgians and have made some relatively speedy progress - eight infantry battalions and two cavalry regiments done so far.  I've really been enjoying using the new grey-undercoat with black wash that Dr Mike taught me there - for some reason I find painting over grey raised areas much more enjoyable than over black!  I don't think the end results are much better yet, but I'm hopeful that I am getting better as I get more used to it.

I've tried a different basing method too: instead of a single 60mm x 30mm base, I've tried using a 30mmx15mm base with two 15mmx15mm bases for the infantry.  It looks okay, but I'm not totally convinced yet, especially as I don't know if I'll really use the extra flexibility that this basing system would give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment