Heretical Gaming is my blog about my gaming life, featuring small skirmishes and big battles from many historical periods (and some in the mythic past or the far future too). The focus is on battle reports using a wide variety of rules, with the occasional rules review, book review and odd musing about the gaming and history. Most of the battles use 6mm-sized figures and vehicles, but occasionally 15mm and 28mm figures appear too.

Thursday 7 June 2012

A Long Absence...

That was a busy interlude! My time has entirely been taken up with working overseas and the birth of my third child - a lovely little girl.

What have I been up to gaming-wise?  Well, I have managed to get a few games in.  The only wargames I've played have been Neil Thomas Napoleonic Wargaming and Simplicity in Practice rules, in both cases trying them out as rules for a Charles Grant 'Tabletop Teaser' from the collection of them published by Battlegames; plus a game of Polemos Napoleonics.

One unfortunate although not entirely unexpected consequence of having another little one round the house has been that I haven't been able to set-up any wargames in the house.  The games I have managed to play have been played on a a board laid flat on the grass in the garden.

And the games were very enjoyable.  The Napoleonic Wargaming rules were much better than I thought they were going to be, as they seemed almost crude when I was reading through them.  In practice they gace a very good game, with some interesting subtleties.  The Simplicity in Practice rules have been a favourite ever since I first read them in Battlegames, although they have a much more C18 feel than Napoleonic.  When I get inspired, I'll write a review for Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment