Heretical Gaming is my blog about my gaming life, featuring small skirmishes and big battles from many historical periods (and some in the mythic past or the far future too). The focus is on battle reports using a wide variety of rules, with the occasional rules review, book review and odd musing about the gaming and history. Most of the battles use 6mm-sized figures and vehicles, but occasionally 15mm and 28mm figures appear too.

Monday 14 October 2019

How on Earth Did that Happen II?

A year or so ago I discovered to my own astonishment that I owned about three times as much stuff for 15mm WW2 as I thought I did.  Today, it was the turn of the 6mm Romans, when I was fairly surprised to see that I had completed 7 Legions worth of figures, with a few regular auxiliaries (i.e. enough to put together another legion or two).  The army is organized so that one base of 36 legionaries represents a cohort or so (at 1:14 figure:man ratio).  I am actually blaming Peter for much of this.  He 'accidentally' sent me a few more than I had ordered and I was going to give them back...but they were whispering "paint me, paint me" and what could I do?  So I bought them too for my toy soldier box.  It has become apparent though that I need a few more tribunes and so on to command this lot...

I suppose that unlike the 15mm WW2 there is a reasonable chance I will get most of this onto the tabletop in a few games.  All being well I am hoping to get my Gallic War campaign kicked off quite soon.

The vast majority of the figures are from Baccus 6mm, but with a few of the auxiliaries from Rapier for a little variety.

The full force arrayed.

The column on the left

The central column

The column on the right

Another massed shot

Legion I

Legion II

Legion III

Legion IV

Legion V

Legion VI

Legion VII

Regular auxiliaries

Balearic slingers and Eastern archers
 I have noticed taking these shots that my well-trodden gaming mat resembles Waterloo more at the end of the battle rather than the beginning - all the static grass and flock seems to have been squished into the caulk or rubbed off!  So next job is to make the mat look a bit more green and grassy again.


6 comments:

  1. Shock news! A Wargamers discovers they have more stuff than they thought. LOL we've all been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm only going to console myself that it is at least more *painted* stuff than I thought...

      Delete
  2. Easiest way to avoid these problems is to not go into the closet or storage tubs, just buy new stuff. Of course, that leads to other problems...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have a slightly unusual variant of the problem: I don't have lead piles hidden in closets and so on, they are all neatly painted in their boxes. So because the painting pile is cleared quite quickly, it is always ready to have new stuff on it...

      Delete
  3. More than enough for a Roman Civil war as well as Gallic wars. Any one for the wars of the Triumvirate then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am pretty much good for that. In fact, I am not realistically going to do Roman armies for different periods, so these chaps could end up seeing service in quite a few of the earlier and later wars too...I think they have already done Chalons, for example. This *is* heretical gaming...

      Delete