Heretical Gaming is my blog about my gaming life, featuring small skirmishes and big battles from many historical periods (and some in the mythic past or the far future too). The focus is on battle reports using a wide variety of rules, with the occasional rules review, book review and odd musing about the gaming and history. Most of the battles use 6mm-sized figures and vehicles, but occasionally 15mm and 28mm figures appear too.

Friday 5 April 2024

Half-a-Million Views

Sometime today this blog got its 500,000th view. Okay, it was probably a Chinese-based bot rather than real wargamer but still, I know several genuine gamers have read this blog at some point, so we can count that as a win.
Seriously, first of all, very many thanks to everyone who has read any of my posts here, and even more so to those who have also taken the time to comment or link to other parts of the blogosphere. It is very much appreciated, whether it is a kind word, an insightful comment, a recommendation or a correction, or a mixture of them all. And I think, without exception, every comment has fallen into those categories.
 
The Most Viewed Posts have been:
 

I think that gives a fair snapshot of some of the themes that this blog has ended up being about: simple games, small boards, fast play, campaigns, smaller figures for bigger games, solo play, a wide variety of periods, mining old magazines, equal emphasis on new and old rulesets. Some of that was by design, some of that emergent: in particular, the themes of small boards and fast play have partly been a reaction to circumstance, partly to changing preferences, partly to changed foundational ideas. On this blog, the game is the thing: I like the models and the colour and the display, but there are other people out there who do that so much better! But I think overall the aesthetic quality of my games has tended to drift up over time.

I think looking back it is only a pity I didn't get more games in. Some gaps were due to work, a few to illness, a few to family commitments. But a couple of other periods were just dry spells. I think I have got a little better over the years at identifying the things that stop me playing, and overcoming them: because, I rarely get to the end of a game and feel I wasted my time. And that is surely a good sign. Other higher level regrets are that it is clear that my painting hasn't been all that efficient, i.e. although I have been not bad at getting armies finished, not every army has really got to the table enough to justify the efforts on it. Things that stand out here are my 6mm Medieval Arab army, my 6mm Wars of the Roses armies, 6mm WW2 Russians and US, 15mm Moderns, 15mm WW2, 28mm fantasy, 28mm science fiction, 28mm Napoleonics, 1/4800 naval, 1/600 WW2 aircraft...not saying I have never got these things to the table, but I am saying that I probably haven't got enough out of them so far. Perhaps that will change in the future and perhaps I also need to think about what steps will make that happen, and take them. It should in any case make me really cautious about expanding into new periods. As soon as my youngest son is old enough, I should perhaps think of passing some things on straight away, assuming he is still very interested. On the other hand, I have had so much play out of my WSS armies! If I had know then what I know now, perhaps I wouldn't even have bothered with Napoleonics...😊

Are there any 'missing' things? On one level, the answer will always be 'loads' but that matters to me...maybe something colonial? But rather than having lots of separate Colonial-era armies, I think I might just like one or two armies that can be used to proxy for other things. I just have to decide what that might be! Otherwise, I don't really have Chariot Wars armies (although I guess I could use Ancient Britons for these...), or many spaceships, or C20 naval stuff. 

Anyway, what of the future of the blog? For the present, it is steady as she goes, although with some hopes of having a little more writing time in the future, so more games, more reviews, more discussions. Next project I think is to get more of my house rules properly written up and added as pages to the blog, there are a few games or rulesets waiting for this treatment. 

Thanks again for taking the time to stop by, read, comment, link and ecncourage. It has been fun, a nice part of my hobby life and I hope just sometimes a little bit helpful or encouraging to other gamers.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Something always of interest to be found here. Here’s to your next half million hits, bots or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Appreciate it, and always appreciate your encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Indeed, congratulations, your pages of playable and do-able games are a great encouragement to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, that is very kind - much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations and well done. Your posts are always very interesting and inspirational, looking forward to many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, appreciated. Looking forward to exploring more of the things you have done with OHW on here too.

      Delete
  4. Congratluations of reacking the half mission milesone. I do enjoy reading your posts and look forward to more.

    I understand about not getting things onto the table enough. I have a great number of 20mm WW2 stuff, my favourite toys to play. Most of it hasn't seen the light of day for 5 years :-( But the good news is that I am at the stage of planning to get it out more, rather than before when I was simply wondering when I might!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaun. And quite right - the best attitude is to work out how to remedy the situation and get them to the table, rather than feel a bit despondent about it.

      Delete
  5. Well done on your milestone, bot generated or otherwise! Checking mine recently and apparently I'm very popular in SE Asia; who'd have thought;). I always enjoy your games as they are ones that we can all play within the constraints of time, space, family life etc. Your post game thoughts I find very interesting too. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! A large part of the journey has been finding that games played are more fun than games that never get beyond the thought-about stage...

      Delete