Heretical Gaming is my blog about my gaming life, featuring small skirmishes and big battles from many historical periods (and some in the mythic past or the far future too). The focus is on battle reports using a wide variety of rules, with the occasional rules review, book review and odd musing about the gaming and history. Most of the battles use 6mm-sized figures and vehicles, but occasionally 15mm and 28mm figures appear too.

Tuesday 13 August 2024

Britcon 12 Aug 24

On Saturday, I went to Britcon, one of the shows most local to me, with my eldest daughter and youngest son. The main focus is on gaming - there seemed to be some Bolt Action and some Chain of Command games, but there were some traders and a few demo games.

Some kind of pirate game, with a suitably dressed pirate.

A Franco-Prussian War game, complete with some nifty conversions of some French Colonial infantry (light blue, by the buildings)


Warlord had a couple of their new games on display

There was a separate room for the Bring and Buy, and then there was a Wargames Illustrated room, with a few really big games set up.

The Boondock Sayntes' latest game (which I had seen at Partizan), a typical India-based epic






Next up was a Revolutionary Wars' game, set in Egypt:






And finally, an 1815 'What if?' game, exploring a potential French flanking move around Nivelles


A few pics of the busy gaming area:



There were a few mini participation-games (I think!), featuring a variety of periods:





We didn't stay very long - it was more a quick shopping trip and scoot around since we were local, and the littlest one wanted some more Romans for his collection. There were perhaps a few more traders here than last time I went, although they didn't necessarily cover an enormous range of wargaming stuff, but I think there would have been some bits which would have interested most gamers at least a little. The Bring-and-Buy was in its own room, and there was actually space to look at stuff, which is a bit of a rarity for me, in that most of the ones I have been to at other shows are more like a rugby scrum. There were plenty of people there but it didn't seem 'too' busy - perhaps one of the areas, a little walkway near the gaming area, with the Rapier painting stand, Gripping Beast? (maybe) and a fantasy trader (I want to say something like Hayland), was a little crowded and dark! On the other hand, it was downstairs on quite a hot day, and some areas in the show felt a bit warm.

The little one duly got his Romans (from Warlord), and some Victrix Gauls to fight them. The eldest one picked up a really big wolf which she liked the look of. I got a French artillery piece and crew, plus some Perry Napoleonic British Light Dragoons. I ummed and aah'd about some other stuff - primarily a few 6mm buildings from The Square - but decided against it for now. I think I am getting worse at shopping, as I get older!! 

One thing did get me wondering - there were a few painted armies for sale, several in the £500-1000 range. Do people actually buy painted armies at shows for that kind of money? Please note, I am not saying that the armies aren't "worth it", more just musing on the activity from the buyer's point-of-view - is this a thing that people do, on spec?

This is the second show I have been to in a couple of months. I went to the Joy of Six in July. It was a good show with lots of nice looking games, but I didn't really feel in the mood, so left early. But there is a good write-up with pictures in the latest Miniature Wargames. I did strongly consider getting the new Napoleonic rules from the Wyre Forest 'Twilight...' stable, but decided against it. For now, at any rate.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. Nice to get a sense of what was on show.

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Aaron, very pleased to put a few piccies up.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for all the photos and descriptions. I will never get to these shows so the photos are most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review of the show and some nice piccies too. The Boodock Sayntes table I saw at Partizan and it is a cracker. All the buildings 3D printed IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, superb. Like with the TFL Arnhem project a couple of years' back, if one has sufficient motivation, there really is the scope using 3D printing to make some really awesome terrain set-ups.

      Delete