Heretical Gaming is my blog about my gaming life, featuring small skirmishes and big battles from many historical periods (and some in the mythic past or the far future too). The focus is on battle reports using a wide variety of rules, with the occasional rules review, book review and odd musing about the gaming and history. Most of the battles use 6mm-sized figures and vehicles, but occasionally 15mm and 28mm figures appear too.

Thursday 19 January 2023

Hobby Update 19 Jan 23

 I have managed to get a bit more hobby stuff in recently, including a few figures, but I have really been concentrating more on the terrain.  Some of this was just general 'capacity building' but some of it was specific stuff for specific games.

On the left and towards the back is a lot of Leven railway stuff.  Railways feature in quite a few WW2 scenarios in a minor way but there is one upcoming in the Gembloux Gap which takes place largely around a train station so I thought I would make this the moment to add some bits and pieces to my terrain collection.  To the right is some Irregular miniatures medieval castle/town walls: a little while ago, I discovered how useful they would be for certain Medieval sub-periods, so I got them whilst I was in the mindset of thinking about terrain.  I will probably add a few more of these.  And lastly, at the back, you can see some graveyard bits (also from Irregular), just as pure 'bringing the table to life' elements...

I also wanted a few more horse-and-musket era appropriate earthworks which will be generally useful, but are very specifically for the White Mountain scenario that I want to get back to the table very shortly.

I also wanted to expand my tree collection a bit, just to add variety and colour to the existing collection really.

Some wooden fences, made by Commission Figurines but sold by Heroics and Ros.  Generally useful, but particularly so for some of these Too Fat Lardies' pint-sized campaign scenarios

A few more Baccus 6mm Soviet Combat Engineers - flamethrower teams. I painted these in a darker scheme than the rifle troops to help differentiate them.

in the foreground and to the edges are some Heroics & Ros WW2 French heavy weapons teams: some HMGs, some bigger and smaller mortars, and (I think) some LMGs (although unsure as to why they would be in the heavy weapons rather than in the infantry pack? perhaps I am misidentifying them, but the magazine position looks right...)

What else is on the (slightly groaning, TBH) workbench? A very reinforced WW2 Polish rifle company, some German odds-and-ends (PzJgr Is, some odd Stug and Hanomag marques, some 21 Panzer funnies, some StG44-armed infantry), some British odds-and-ends (Paras with Vickers and flamethrower and satchel charges (IIRC), a couple of Typhoons, some Fairey Battles)...some plastic fantasy figures...some Baccus 6mm C17 Polish Light Horse...and number two son has asked for some Zulu Wars(!) stuff...


7 comments:

  1. Nice assortment of terrain. Terrain building is a chore that I rarely look forward to tackling. I did build a boxful of entrenchments and redoubts needed for an SYW battle once. For me, it worked to set figure painting aside and knock out all of the entrenchments I might ever need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I do terrain in batches too, try to ride that particular wave when it comes along.

      Delete
  2. A good mix of stuff there. I'm the opposite of Jon and find terrain building fun, sadly to the detriment of figure painting. Maybe if I lived near Jon we could come to some arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes. I like making terrain 'sometimes'; but I have noticed that especially in the larger scales I can find myself overwhelmed with 'stuff' even more quickly than with figures. 6mm stuff is alright.

      Delete
    2. Steve, now this is a great idea!

      Delete
  3. A useful selection of additional terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I hope it will prove so.

    ReplyDelete